Textbook ISBN: N/A – Videos on Lynda.com
WordPress is web software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog.
To Get Started:
Watch the following Lynda playlist (required):
- WordPress Playlist
These videos are helpful (recommended):
- Installing WordPress Locally
- Using the Underscores Starter Theme
- Setting Up Sass / Compass for WordPress
Building custom child themes for WordPress allows you to leverage all of the powerful CMS functionality of WordPress while maintaining the custom look and feel of your originial website.
As many of your clients will request the ability to “make updates themselves”, creating custom child themes for WordPress will definitely come in handy.
The following PDF and link will help you install XAMPP to make your computer a server.
For general questions about WordPress use this site:
Yes, it is time for you to get your own server (and some paying clients)! Here’s a link with instructions on how to set it up:
Setting up WordPress on your server
We recommend using 1 and 1 , Webfaction, Media Temple or Westhost for your hosting and the Migrate DB Pro plugin to make uploading your website easier. Link the site (using a thumbnail image) to the Portfolio page (and Assignment page) of your business website.
Using www.wordpress.com create the following WordPress website
The site must meet the following requirements:
- Create a WordPress website for the Pinellas Technical College’ s Culinary program
- You must have a minimum of 3 blog posts
- The blog must have an “About Us” page accessible through the navigational menu
- A menu link back to your business website must be included in the main menu of your blog.
- Pictures must be included in one of the blog posts and on the About Us page.
Submit a link it to your business website through the Dropbox in Blackboard.